Tuesday, January 03, 2006

PlayUlitmate Contributors - Luke Johnson

Name: Luke Johnson
Age: 25
Lives In: Eugene, OR
High School Team:
Never had the opportunity to play until I got into college...
College Team: North Park University (started the team my senior year, played in two tournaments and missed out of playing at sectionals because of a church retreat I was running).
Where I First Heard of Ultimate: I was a senior in high school when I was told
the thing we were doing outside with a frisbee at youthgroup was actually a sport. I never really believed the person who told me until I was a freshman in college and began hearing how big the sport really was. I played in my first game as a freshman at NPU against a newly established Wheaton College team who killed us. We weren't even a team yet, and were just getting guys together to play a little pick-up and it took about 2 years until we actually had a team.
Years Playing the Game: I have been playing competitive ultimate since my senior year at NPU in the spring of 2003.
Notable Accomplishments While Playing: Starting the official college team at my university in the summer of 2003 and being a contributing player on Darkstar (Eugene's OPEN Club team) starting in the spring of 2004.
Favorit
e Tournament Played: Indiana Invite (College tournament that went all night in an indoor football arena)
Involvement in Community: I have been the mixed and open coach of the Churchill High School team for the last 3 years as well as the Eugene Coordinator for the start-up teams at Kennedy & Roosevelt Middle School. My passion resides in the development of youth ultimate to give every students the opportunity to play this wonderful game.
Favorite Tournament Coached: Westerns 2005
Mentors or Role Models in the Sport: Living here in Eugene for only a few years has meant I am still getting to know t
he ultimate community here. I think that if I had to pick a mentor or role model in the game it would have to be Jon King, a player who could have been playing before I was born. His onfield intensity, unrelenting spirit and tenacity are things I wish I had more of.
Ultimate Quote: If you can touch it, you can catch it...